Friday, September 9, 2016

How to: Work Mats

Hello!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am sharing my room this year with my good friend, which has provided a whole new set of challenges that I'd never even contemplated before!! Like name tags, and work mats!

Since two kids will be sitting in the same spot through out the day (my class from 7:45-11:06, and a pm kindergarten from 11:10-2:26) I couldn't very well tape a name tag to the table to designate that spot for one student. So how's a teacher supposed to make sure each kid has a specific spot just for them while still leaving freedom for the next teacher to do the same?

Simple! Work Mats!!!



I made work mats that provided the students with access to their name, left and right paw prints (we're the panthers after all), the sight words, colors, numbers and tens-frames, letters with beginning sounds pictures, and shapes. It seems like a lot, but so far it has really helped my littles to keep to their work space and have access to all the concepts we'll be working on all year long. Here's how I did it.

I started with a black piece of construction paper 12 x 18. I laid them out horizontal and assembled all my pieces. I glued store bought name tags to the top of it. You could write names on them right away, but with how my class changes between first day and final roster, I didn't want to write anything on it and then laminate over it. After the name tag I assembled the rest of the little pieces underneath and glued them down.
Sight word pieces
The mats with all the pieces
From there I laminated the whole thing and cut it out.


Viola! Handy dandy work mats that you can write on and move around easy as 1-2-3! I love, love, LOVE these things!!
Finished work mat!

I hope you found this little how to helpful! Feel free to show me what you do for your student work space! And always remember: every moment can be a learning moment.

Sincerely from TK,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...